History of the church
The birth of Holy Trinity
The 1840 church
360 degree view in church
The church enlarged in 1870
Photo by Ron Williams
|The church was finished and opened on the 12th July 1840 at a service conducted by the Vicar of Crich. The photograph, taken from the South side, shows the church as it would have looked in 1840, except for gravestones and yew trees.
The church was consecrated two months later on the 18th September 1840 by the Bishop of Lichfield in the name of “The Holy Trinity”
A distinguished congregation must have attended as the collections for the day amounted to £50 10s 6d, a considerable amount of money for those days.
|Tansley was still part of the Parish of Crich but in 1844 a Chapelry District of Tansley was formed which embraced just the village of Tansley. Twenty years later, Tansley Chapel was obviously thriving because in 1865 a new Parish of Tansley was formed which now included the hamlet of Riber and the houses in the adjacent industrial valley of Lumsdale.
|By the middle of the 1860s, Matlock Bank, just over a mile away, had become popular with visitors coming to take the waters and although Holy Trinity church was large enough for local residents, it was not big enough to cope with additional visitors from Matlock Bank. The church was enlarged in 1870 by adding a North Aisle. New pews replaced the box pews and the altar area was changed. It was recognised that the addition of one aisle “ ..... produced an oddity but it is intended to add a corresponding wing should further accommodation be necessary”. In the event, it obviously did not prove to be necessary.
Holy Trinity showing the North aisle
|The re-opening service was held on Wednesday 26th Sptember 1870 and the preacher was the Bishop of Madras. There were three services that day. The morning congregation obviously consisted mainly of invited guests as the collection amounted to £29 10s 10d. The afternoon service yielded a collection of £10 3s 4d whilst the evening service “...... where there was a large collection of villagers” yielded only £3 1s 7d."
As the local paper of the time records “After the morning service, his Lordship, with a select circle of friends, partook of luncheon at the beautiful seat of E.Radford Esq. while the Rector and a large circle of friends sat down to a sumptuous meal in the National School which was very tastefully decorated for the occasion. During the day tea was served to a number of poor people in a marquee erected in a neighbouring field where the youth of the village joined in several out-door games.”