Irish House Cemetery

Heuvelland, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Irish House Cemetery lies 7.5km south of the town of Ieper and 2km from the small town of Wijtschate. It is a small cemetery lying just behind a small farm and approached by a path alongside the farm.
The cemetery owes its name to a small farm-house some 90 metres away to the west, known to the British troops as “Irish House”. It was begun in June 1917 by the 16th (Irish) Division and used at intervals until September 1918. The ground was in German hands from April 1918 to the end of the following August. There are now over 100, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in the cemetery. Of these, over one third are unidentified and a special memorial is erected to one Australian soldier known to be buried in the cemetery. The cemetery is enclosed by a low rubble wall.

Back