Dud Corner Cemetery

Loos, Pas de Calais, France

Dud Corner Cemetery lies about 1km west of the village of Loos-en-Gohelle, some 5km north-west of Lens. It lies on the side of the busy N43, the main Lens to Bethune road. The name “Dud Corner” is believed to be due to the large number of unexploded enemy shells found in the neighbourhood after the Armistice and the cemetery stands almost on the site of a German strong point, the Lens Road Redoubt..
The only burials here during hostilities were those of four officers of the Black Watch and one Private of the 8th Royal Dublin Fusiliers. The remainder of the graves were brought in later from small cemeteries and isolated positions near Loos and to the North. The cemetery contains the graves of 1784 British and 28 Canadian soldiers and airmen. Of these over half are unidentified. The great majority of the dead buried here fell in the Battle of Loos in 1915 but some were killed in succeeding years.
The cemetery is bounded on three sides by the LOOS MEMORIAL which carries panels commemorating 20,584 soldiers who fell in the Battle of Loos,1915 and Bethune, 1918 and in the intervening trench warfare and whose graves are unknown.

Back