Buffs Road Cemetery

St. Jean-les-Ypres, Ieper, BegiumPlace

The cemetery lies to the north-east of the town of Ieper at the village of St. Jean-les-Ypres. During the 1914-18 war, Buffs Road was the name given by the British Army to a small lane just north of the village of Wieltje. The cemetery was made and used by fighting units (in particular by the 12th, 13th, and 14th Royal Sussex and the Royal Artillery) in July 1917 to March 1918 and after the Armistice graves were brought into it from the battlefields.
There are now nearly 300 1914-1918 war casualties commemorated on this site of which over 80 are unidentified.