Birr Cross Roads Cemetery

Zillebeke, Ieper, Belgium

The Cemetery is located 3km east of the townof Ieper. The village and the greater part of the commune of Zillebeke were within the British lines until the end of April 1918 and the village was retaken on the 18th September 1918. Birr Cross Roads (named by the 1st Leinsters from their depot) is a point on the Menin Road. The cemetery was begun in August 1917 and used as a Dressing Station cemetery until, and after, the German advance in 1918.
The cemetery was greatly enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from the battlefields immediately surrounding it and from certain smaller graveyards. There are now over 800 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these over two fifths are unidentified.

Back