Ypres Reservoir Cemetery

Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

Ypres Reservoir Cemetery lies quite near the centre of the town Ieper. Ieper was, from October 1914 to the Autumn of 1918, the centre of a Salient held by the British (and for some months by the French) forces in Belgium. From April 1915 it was bombarded and destroyed more completely than any other town of its size on the Western Front, but even to the end certain buildings remained distinguishable.
Three cemeteries were made near the Western gate of the town: two between the prison and the reservoir and the third on the North side of the prison. The two between the prison and the reservoir were moved into the third cemetery which was called first, “Cemetery North of the Prison”.Then it became known as “Ypres Reservoir North Cemetery” but now is known as “Ypres Reservoir Cemetery” This cemetery was begun in October 1915 and used by fighting units and Field Ambulances until after the Armistice.
It then contained 1,099 graves. These were added to from smaller cemeteries and from the battlefields of the Salient. There are now over 2,500, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these over 1000 are unidentified.

Back