Philosophe British Cemetery

Mazingarbe, Pas-de-Calais, France

The village of Mazingarbe lies just south of the N43 Bethune - Lens road. The cemetery was started in August 1915. In 1916 it was taken over by the 16th (Irish) Division who held the Loos salient at the time, and many of their dead were brought back from the front line. Succeeding Divisions used the cemetery until October 1918 and men from the same Division, and often the same Battalion, were buried side by side..
After the Armistice this cemetery was one of those used for the concentration of isolated graves from the Loos battlefield, including the bodies of 41 men of the 9th Black Watch.The cemetery now contains nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties of which over 250 could not be identified.

Back